View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Question Weird game and awkward moment tonight

Disclaimer: (potentially pertinent for one of my points) I officiated Biddy, AAU and middle school/Junior high games for about 6 years then took 4 years off and started back up again this season. Also began doing HS games as well this year for the first time.

BV game tonight.

I have 2 questions on calls that I'm questioning in my head even though I think I got them right. And a really awkward situation at the end of the game that i'll describe and see if anyone has ever dealt with something like this and what would you do.

1.) H1 recovers loose ball while laying on his back then sits up. I call a travel. Is this correct?

2.) H1 throws in from backcourt endline to H2 who is standing in the lane in backcourt. V1 then practically tackles H2. I call an intentional foul on V1. We shoot the 2 FT then put the ball back in play for H at the backcourt endline again. Correct?

Now here's where it gets a little crazy. Before the game I learn that my partner had V in their game last Friday night. Didn't think anything of it.

H is winning 44-42 with 30 sec or so left. V gets ball close to the block for uncontested layup. I'm at L on opposite side and my partner calls a very questionable travel from T and waives off the made basket. (kid pulled the stutter step with his non pivot foot that looks weird enough to be construed as a travel)

V gets the ball back and V1 is fouled and sent to the line for double bonus with 13.7 secs remaining. He makes the 1st FT. Then makes the second FT but my partner waives off the game tying FT for a lane violation on V. Also very questionable. H is still winning and score is now 44-43.

Intentional foul from above happens next among other fouls and end of game ridiculousness and H ends up winning 46-43.

After the game an AC from V walks up to me while my partner is next to me and shakes my hand and tells me great game and that I did a great job (then turned his back without even acknowledging my partner). I then proceeded to try to explain something that he had asked about earlier in the game and he starts telling me that all he wanted was a fair game and that I did a great job. I said thank you. He then proceeded to tell me that they had the same issues last week at the other school but I wasn't there so I was "cool" and told me good job again.

My partner has probably been doing this for a few years from what i can gather from the way he was talking and I'm a "newbie". I felt incredibly awkward and couldn't figure out what to say/do except walk out with my partner and not say anything about what had just happened.

All of this is happening while the fans from V are screaming, "that's that cheating ref from (enter other school's name here)" and this continued all the way into the parking lot. (Apparently they even won the previous game that they were talking about)

What would you do?

And BTW, I was reading some of the other threads and our pay rate is no where near any of the ones mentioned in the thread about standard pay rates. I'm living in the wrong city!

Thanks guys!