View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I had the same thoughts as ROCKY. You KNOW that there was more than one parent with the omnipresent video camera making sure to get their youngin on cam. I can be a tad more confrontational in these situations, and would ask the assignor of the league to set up a meeting with the coach so the three ofyou could discuss the situation. Oh wait, he wasnt there? Then forget it!
I am thinking this is an Upward Bound league. Our church has one as well, and I was asked to speak to the parents, officials, et al prior to the season (Season 2). As a former player, current official, and current coach, I addressed the need to SUPPORT everyone. NO ONE is out to "get" your child. Coaches should not try to be John Calipari. At the end of the league, if the kids can dribble (with both hands) understand a little of the rules, learn how to make a lay up with/without someone guarding them, and most importantly HAVE FUN, then they had a successful year!!
Ok, so I actually ran one of these type leagues before and that was OUR motto. I used to "quiz" the kids. Let's say a kid picks up their dribble runs a few steps and dribbles again, I would blow my whistle, have the kid come over and ask if they knew what they did wrong. If they didnt know I would tell them, make the "promise" not to do it again, blow the whistle and off we went!! Everyone had fun!!