View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I wouldn't re-set the clock on this, assuming the violation was on the initial touch; but the rule seems vague to me. For evidence, see the entire discussion about whether the clock should be corrected if a player catches a throwin pass with his foot on the OOB line.

As for the rest, they did it correctly. Since the arrow had not yet been established, it will be established as soon as the thrower is handed the ball for the throw in.
I would reset the clock in this specific case.
The reason is that the rules prohibit the player from touching the ball at this point. The prohibition is not on where the player is, but specifically for touching the ball prior to it reaching the apex of the toss. Therefore, the touch itself is not legal. To me that is the difference between this situation and the OOB plays in which a player standing on a boundary line touches the throw-in pass. In that case there is nothing wrong with touching the ball, the problem is where his feet are positioned.

The important rules are:
5-9-2 . . . If play is started or resumed by a jump, the clock shall be started
when the tossed ball is legally touched.
6-3-6 . . .The tossed ball must be touched by one or both of the jumpers after
it reaches its highest point. If the ball contacts the floor without being touched by
at least one of the jumpers, the referee shall toss it again.
6-3-7 . . .Neither jumper shall:
a. Touch the tossed ball before it reaches its highest point.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 12:54am.