Thread: 2010 ASA Exam
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
46. If a pitcher has started the pitch and the batter holds up a hand requesting “time” the umpire should:
a) Grant time and call a “no pitch.”
b) Grant time and call the pitch a “ball” or “strike” depending on the location of the pitch.
c) Grant time, come around the catcher and clean off home plate to allow the batter time to get re-set.
d) Not grant time and allow the batter to swing and take the result of that swing.

Given the choices above, the only logical reply can be "d", because it's the only choice that includes "not grant time".

However, I believe someone missed the word "Not" and it should be the start of reply "b". That would be the proper answer. Ref.: Umpire Manual, Chapter 5, E. General Responsibilities Both Slow Pitch and Fast Pitch; Time Out - Suspension of Play. [This is from my 2009 manual as I haven't received my 2010 yet. I don't recall seeing this documented as a change for 2010.]

Thanx.
I think you may be correct. However, D is not wrong, just not 100% inclusive.

2009 ASA Umpire Manual, Page 241 (page 243 in 2010) under "Time Out-Suspension of Play" it clearly states that if the pitcher has started the pitch, time out should NOT be called.