View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Anything we do must have the support of the rules. And, there is no rule support to do anything with this play. Until the players play this to a completion, live ball, play is in progress.

1) Runner is not out, because nothing makes the runner out.
2) You cannot properly call "time"; ASA 10.4-E "An umpire will not call time while any play is in progress ..." and ASA 10.4-H An umpire will not suspend play at the request of players, coaches or managers until all action in progress has been completed."

The most you can do is state something like "The ball is live until returned to the pitcher and runners return to their bases", or "I cannot call that runner out unless you tag her off the base", or "I cannot grant time will the ball is in play and runners are in jeopardy". Until they resolve it, you cannot actively "do" anything, or apply any rule.
I don't think I've ever had this situation, however in similar situations (in FP), I have said something like, "Let's play ball" in my most officious umpire voice. Next thing I know they are doing something.

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Sun Jan 24, 2010 at 12:04pm.