View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
My son broke his ankle a couple weeks ago -- in practice!!! Landed awkwardly on a fast break lay-up. All injuries in sports cannot be prevented. That said, we can all learn from mistakes we make every game -- we make mistakes EVERY game (in basketball and in soccer).

One other thought, and this is just an observation that may be completely wrong -- so take it for what it is: someone's opinioin. I think that you tend to get emotional about offiiciating. Officiating, like coaching, requires a level head. The more heated a game gets, the calmer you, as an official, need to be. We tend to make poorer decisions when we get emotional.
I'm taking it for what it is, but you are wrong on my emotional state of mind during a game. I do keep a level head during officiating. It's after the game that I start getting emotional about certain things. Like one game I had a few years ago. I T'd up a coach for running his mouth all game. No problem, kept my cool, went to the table to report it. After the game he initiated a stare-down competition with me on my way to the locker room. I stood my ground, and eventually he walked away. Then after the game I went to a cafe with a friend and just started analyzing the situation and got all emotional about it, thinking whether if I should have T'd him up for the stare-down thing.

To be honest, I am an emotional guy. Sometimes VERY emotional. But I don't let it get in the way of work. The emotions stays in the locker room when I walk to the gym to ref.