View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
He broke his wrist. The player from last night, who was on my watch, broke his wrist on a play that should have been prevented.

This became a wake up call for me. Basketball might not be for me, not right now anyways. It is my 6th season and I should have prevented that from happening. I don't know guys, but I might be hanging up my basketball whistle after this season. Never thought I say that but it took a bad situation like this to happen for me to say that, because I absolutely love officiating basketball.

Could you guys try to convince me otherwise? My heart wants to continue, but my mind is saying to give it up. Not trying to be dramatic, but I want to know what you guys think.
My son broke his ankle a couple weeks ago -- in practice!!! Landed awkwardly on a fast break lay-up. All injuries in sports cannot be prevented. That said, we can all learn from mistakes we make every game -- we make mistakes EVERY game (in basketball and in soccer).

One other thought, and this is just an observation that may be completely wrong -- so take it for what it is: someone's opinioin. I think that you tend to get emotional about offiiciating. Officiating, like coaching, requires a level head. The more heated a game gets, the calmer you, as an official, need to be. We tend to make poorer decisions when we get emotional.