View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 07:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
1) in case you (and the some of the others) skipped 1st grade....

2) In this case, the free throws were not justified or deserved because no one else besides a coach, player or bench personnel (i.e. trainer) can receive a technical foul. A father (or any other spectators) or officiating crew on table cannot be given a technical foul.
1) Telling.....n'uff said.

2) This is for new officials who might mistakenly think that there's even a kernel of truth hidden somewhere in those 2 sentences. See NFHS rule 2-8-1 which states "The official shall penalize unsporting conduct by a coach, player, substitute, attendant or follower. In the NOTE underneath that, you will find "The officials may call fouls on either team if its supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the game." And in case book play 2.8.1 you can find this statement in the RULING- It is significant that the word used is "may". This gives permission but does not in any way imply that officials must call technical fouls on TEAM FOLLOWERS OR SUPPORTERS for unsporting act. There is a lot of additional germane information contained in the rule and case play. You should learn it so that you can properly apply it...and avoid a mess like the one representing caused. And btw, I personally doubt very much that the NFHS rules makers ever issued anything that would infer that a father coming on to the court to check on his injured son/daughter had just committed an unsporting act and his child's team should be penalized for for it. I also doubt that there's any rules interpreter anywhere that isn't aware of that rule and case play.