View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
It's just your blatant cockiness that fuels my distaste for most of your posts. You may not mean to, but somehow you come across as some big shot umpiring guru, or expert authority on the subject, and that you have a special understanding that the rest of us unwashed masses don't. I am sure I'm not alone on an island by saying this. Most people are just way too polite to say it to you. When people who freely speak their mind, like Larry or myself speak, we are speaking for others who just keep silent. I'm sure you're a great guy in real life, you just seem really cocky and condescending in many of your posts here.
I can promise you. I'll be one of the silent polite ones.
I try to stick with what I am talking about and not the person I am talking to.

As for this topic, in general, I think Finnerty is right in that this is not how to handle a situation.

I think what happened is both were heated and DJ said the wrong thing(thinking he was dealing with a sane person but he was wrong). For MLB and maybe MiLB, this is fine b/c it is part of the show at that level. For this Dominican league, it was not apparently or at least DJ didn't realize how pathetic Offerman is.

If DJ could have kept his feet after the contact, he should have. He was lucky that others acted quickly to help prevent Offerman from doing any more damage. He didn't have to go down to get Offerman suspended. That should have come automatically.

It was wise of them to leave the tournament. Let the locals deal with that. I hope they find it very difficult to cover things properly and would come to value the American umpires and what they are doing more. I doubt it though.

Maybe DJ confused how to handle a MLB/MiLB manager with how to handle a non-MLB/MiLB manager. It is possible that he didn't realize the level he was dealing with and should have approached it differently. That is a possibility as well. DJ might have been in the wrong here or it is just an isolated incident in which he was dealing with a moron and didn't realize it.