View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 01:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpref View Post
The stop sign IS dismissive, and that is the point!

By rule, the coach does not have a right to display dissent to officials calls. Coaches also ARE NOT tasked with administering the game and the rules! He is there to COACH his players. I fail to understand where coaching his players include the right to yell at officials.
I fail to see where anyone in this thread has said this. With whom are you arguing, chief?
Quote:
As to comments about "record it in the book". I will utilize the book in any way I see fit to keep track of warnings. In our area, we are asked to have the book record delay of game warnings.
Um, it's not just your area, it's in the rule book. Tha'ts the difference:
Quote:
I don't find it a stretch that we can use it to record a warning to a coach.
Some of us do find it a stretch. However, all of us have acknowledged that if that's how it's done in your area, so be it. Again, with whom are you arguing here?
Quote:
He knows he is going to have a hard time arguing his eventual ejection when there is a paper trail of is sins on the court.
Rest assured, if I T a coach his sins will be documented. But I'm not concerned about whether he argues it to the state or my assigner. I'll get the backing I need.

Quote:
Does any of this work for every coach? Nope! That is why there is the technical (personally, I think in basketball that if you have issued a stop sign warning, or any kind of verbal warning to a coach, next step should be ejection...that gives it BITE!).
You're kidding, right?
Quote:
No technique works every time, nor is every technique the end all solution for every situation. Again, it is another tool to use. Officials much better than anybody posting here have deemed it useful, and most organizations have bought on. Not my place to question that.
Most? Really? Have you done a scientific poll to determine this? I've been in three different metro organizations, none of which promoted use of the stop sign.

Quote:
I will admit though, I am no fan of in NFHS baseball where you can restrict a coach to the bench. I haven't heard where it has worked more often than not. In my informal polling of umps doing sub-varsity games (they seem to be the guys that use this "tool" the most) most complain that the coach still does what he was doing before, just from the bench now. Of course, I tell the umps that they will probably need to explain to the coach that they cannot do that anymore, but that is offset by why should I be informing the coach of his rights? He has a rule book too!
So we can't question the stop sign (not an NFHS signal), but you can question an official NFHS tool in baseball?

Wow.

Quote:
So, the stop sign just may not be for everybody. But, if it isn't for you, don't write it off!
I didn't write it off, I've merely expressed my opinion as to why I don't use it anymore. That's all I've seen anyone do in this thread.