View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My problem with the stop sign is that it comes across as dismissive. We talk all the time about how coaches should not be allowed to show us up, yet this signal does that very thing to the coach. Geese and Ganders come to mind here.
I completely agree. They act more like...."How dare you tell me to be quite...." And that is why it does not work for me.

Quote:
I've had much better success speaking quietly to them and letting them vent (appropriately), and I've witnessed good veteran officials do the same.
This has worked well for me for years. Then if I had to give a T afterward, the coach never felt that I was trying to embarrass them.

Quote:
If your association wants you to do it so you have something the video will catch, so be it. I don't need that, as my report (every T gets one here) will be good enough for my assigners.
Coaches know why they get Ts. They try to act like they are innocent, but they know why. And even if you use it on tape, a coach can still claim they did nothing wrong. The coach I T'd up yesterday made the claim he did not curse, which for me is the least of my concerns.

Peace