View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Situation

Here is a situation that occurred in my state that is relevant to this topic (from a reliable source and no, I was not on this game):

A2 completes a throw-in with 0.3 seconds remaining in the 2nd quarter. A1 gathers control of the ball, shoots, and scores before the horn sounds ending the first half. The officials count the basket and they, along with both teams, head to their respective locker rooms for halftime.

After the teams and officials have returned to the floor at the conclusion of halftime, the head coach of Team B meets with the officials and questions the last basket of the half. Since the clock read 0.3 seconds, the only way Team A could have scored was by a tap.

This scenario was forwarded to the NFHS office and the situation is going to the rules committee in April.

However, it is my belief that this scenario is covered under 2-10-1e and 2.10.1 Situation C (if the officials have definite knowledge that 0.3 seconds or less remained in the half at the last throw-in and the ball was caught on the shot attempt). If the officials do not have definite knowledge of the time remaining (0.3 seconds or less) and if the ball was secured on the shot attempt, then I believe the original call has to stand.

I do not know what the officials decided to do in this situation.