View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

less than 3/10ths of a second left

In tonights game, Girls JV, coach of losing team (by 2 points) requests a time out. Now, the whole game he never verbally says "time out" but signals time out by making a "T" with his hands. As soon as I recognized him requesting a time out. My partner and I looked at the clock during the time out and sees that there are only .2 second left on the clock. While I know the coaches are supposed to know that .3 or less on the clock there can not be a catch and shoot situation, but rather that the player must tap the ball. Should we have to tell the coach "hey, the rules say that .3 or less it must be a tap for a try at a shot" or should we not tell them, assuming they should know it just like any other rules that they might actually NOT know?

End results: balls inbounded to a player who did catch the ball with both hands and just as she shot it I blew my whistle to say "shot is not legal" and got my *** out of that court. Luckily she did not make the basket and game would have been over regardless.