View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
*Tweet* to each partner: "Coach has been warned."
This seems to be the most effective tool in my arsenal. But make sure you actually warn them, AND, more importantly, make sure you follow things up as needed.

I pregame this as the R. The first thing we talk about in pregame is SHTF situations on behavior and any T's that result. As far as starting out, something along the lines of:

1) If you can handle it, handle it as you see fit. I.E., say whatever you need to say to calm them down, for example. But let everyone know next dead ball.
2) If 1 doesn't seem to be working, during a dead ball, tell the coach something to the effect of, "I've heard you and that needs to be the last word on that..." At THAT point, do the commented part above. Remember, this is after 1 has failed.
3) At that point we all know where we are at. We CAN go back to one if an official feels that will work, but we do not go back to 1 AND 2. The second version of "2", if you will, will be a T.

After 3, we get into how we handle the T if one is called, but we can save that outline for a different post.

Does this work perfectly every time as drawn up? No. Do we sometimes go back to "1" too many times, thinking we can resolve the issue ourselves? Yes. But this is just a framework for dealing with the coaches.