View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Obstructed runner.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump View Post
Had a FED game last weekend where a runner was obstructed as she rounded first base heading for second. I called the delayed dead ball obstruction, and then had the defense attempt to thow the girl out at second.

I made the delayed db signal, and verbalized obstruction. If the defense actually throws her out at second, do I call her out first, then award the base, or do I simply award her the base by calling her safe?

Seems pretty akward to do it the first way, but if somebody didn't hear me or see my delayed call, I could get a pretty boisterous argument about the "safe" call.

What's the proper mechanic for this situation?
blueump - I can't give you the FED proper mechanics, but two years ago, I had a classic case of 'obstruction' in a girl's ASA SP game: Batter hits one in the gap between LF and LCF. The batter rounds 1st and plows in to the first baseman who is gawking towards the outfield. Here's what I did:
1. I pointed and verbalized "obstruction."
2. I gave the delayed dead ball signal.
3. I picked up the location of the ball (still rolling towards the fence).
4. In my mind, I judged she would have reached "3rd base" had she not been obstructed (now, I'm "old school," I keep the DDB signal up until the runner reaches the base I would have awarded).
5. She comes in to second, the ball comes to an infielder and the plate umpire calls "time."
6. I announce: "I have 'obstruction' on the first baseman. The runner is awarded 3rd base."
Well, the team in the field is losing horribly and the manager comes UNglued. He storms out of the dugout, comes up to me and TRIES to maintain that "(his) fielder was NOT in the runner's way." Sorry. He then tried to "protest" the game on the call. It was not allowed because 'obstruction' is a judgment call. He then proceeded to yell: "Well, you screwed up that call." That got him an ejection. Come to find out, he was not only the manager of the team, BUT THE LEAGUE PRESIDENT AS WELL.
Now, to his credit, he was much better behaved last season, esp during my games.