Thread: Tough Game
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garn05 View Post
Newbie here. I had a girls jv game this morning (my 4th "official game" of the season, not counting middle school and rec games). My partner is a 4 year official. The game was pretty ugly; it started with a crash under the board and it was pretty much like that the whole way. I am the first one to admit that I need to have a better understanding of the switches on time-outs and be more attentive when subs need to come in. Anyway, halftime came and my partner told me that he thought I would be better than I was. He said I needed to use my ovaries to blow more powerfully into the whistle, and especially since I was a woman, that I needed to show those girls who is in control out there. He went on to comment on pretty much every aspect of my referee skills (or lack thereof). Second half, I did try to work on the things that seemed to bother him the most (I could tell by his frustrating looks what those were), but I am certain I wasn't doing a whole lot better than the first half. It was the worst game I have worked yet. I am trying to take the positives, while not dwelling how awful the game was. I am upset that i didn't do a better job (maybe call everything which would have meant a stoppage every 35 seconds or so) or what?? The few games I have worked prior to this were also girls jv games and I thought (based on my evaluation by varsity refs & my partners) that I was "progressing" alright. I don't know what I want to ask you all except do I just chalk this up to a learning experience? It just made me feel like I just want to throw away my whistle. Sorry to vent.....
1. Ignore this situation and hope to never see this partner again.

2. Find yourself more middle school and younger games to do. My own personal feeling is that new officials are much better off spending their entire first year doing 4th to 6th grade games. These games provide an excellent opportunity to work on mechanics and foul/violation recognition in a slow moving enviroment. MS games should be considered upper level games.

3. I would avoid HS games to the extent possible in your first year. Unless you have officiated other sports or have officiated basketball where you did not need a license, you quite probably are in over your head doing HS games.

4. Try to find yourself a mentor who is willing to work these lower youth games with you. He/She can help you improve your mechanics, improve on your positioning, improve on your foul/violation recognition in a positive way.

5. Please do not take these statements in a negative way, at all as they are meant to help a typical young/new official to progress in a controlled way. This path will allow you to grow as an official with less pressure -- and a slower game. There is plenty of time to move up.

Good luck!!!