View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
In my association, it's posted as being an absolute no-no in our code of conduct and also in our bylaws. If you're caught crapping on a fellow official publicly, the first offense is an immediate indefinite suspension with no warning(length determined by executive). The second offense is Hasta La Vista and don't let the door hit your azz on the way out. And it doesn't matter whether the public criticism was valid or not either; you keep your problems in-house and deal with them.

An officials' association is no different than a crew out on the floor. One person can make the whole association/crew look bad. And if we can't turn our back on one of your own, then we all have major, major problems.

If I was in the position of having to deal with that type of conduct, it would have been dealt with the first time that I heard of it. I sureashell wouldn't wait until I'd heard about it 3 times and then decide to do something about it.

We all may be amateur officials but that doesn't mean that we can't act professionally.
I don't think that central Ohio has a specific rule in any of our associations. At the same time, I do know that an official I know had to send a letter of apology to an official for criticizing him in public. This official CONTINUES to be critical of officials during his son's games. The only thing that saves him today is that FEW officials KNOW he is an official.