View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Thanks UmpJim for refreshing my memory.

I'm on the website now, and though not specifically stated as the "gorilla arm", moreso described as the hanging arm, it is mentioned in the 2010 Case Book (6.1.3P), not as I had "misremembered" it as the Rule book. The CB play is asterisked, indicating it has been entered as new this year.

Here it is:

*6.1.3 Situation P: With a runner on first, Team A right-handed pitcher is in the set position, bent at the waist and his pitching arm naturally hangs down slightly in front or to the side away from his body. As he looks to the catcher for a signal, a) the pitcher's arm is stationary or b) the pitching arm rocks slightly from side to side. RULING: In a), the position of the arm is natural and can be considered by his side in meeting the rule. Any movement would then start the pitch. In b), any movement of the arm is considered the start of the pitching motion and a pitch must be delivered to the plate so this motion results in a balk.

Also, Lapopez, you mentioned that you "downloaded" the 2010 Rule Book. How do you do that? I can't even "copy and paste" an excerpt from either the rule book or the case book! Instead, I have to write it out by hand. Let me know the trick...