View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:39am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
Had a great BJV game last night between two of the better programs in the area.

Anyway, had one situation that I would love to hear some feedback on.

2nd half, home team has the ball in the frontcourt, and it is stolen. I am lead, transitioning to trail, and am across the court from the table.

Ball is moving up the table side of the court, and I am hustling over to get there when it is knocked loose towards the table, but still in the back court. I clearly see the ball go off White's hands, then go behind a couple of players who are going after it (by behind, I mean from my perspective, ie the players screened my view).

Ball goes OOB near the scorers bench, home side of the court (backcourt), ie on my line. (Ball goes OOB, tableside sideline, in the backcourt)

Blow my whistle, stick my hand up, but while I saw the ball last touched by white, I could NOT tell if anyone touched it after that. I look at my partner, who was on that side (was tableside), but hustling up court to try to beat the fast break down, and hope he has something...but he isn't looking at me at all, so I am guessing he does not.

I point down court and say "Black ball!", and the place goes nuts. The coach for white, the players for white, the fans, everyone is screaming bloody murder, while black is cheering and high-fiving each other.

The Lead should have been looking back over his shoulder. Even if he didn't know who caused the ball to go OOB, he should have had a whistle then asked you for help. Personally I would not expect him to know who it went out on but I would expect him to have a whistle to stop play.

For ease of reading I suggest using different terms, like Team B/Team A, A1/B2, W2,B2 (for color) instead of home team/visiting team. Also the changes noted above in your quoted text. Just a suggestion.