View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 01:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Check again.
Actually his career started in 1981 and he was the Rookie of the year in 1987 where he hit 49 home runs in Oakland. I guess you need to check again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Regardless of what you like about Bobby Knight, when it comes to this topic he is an idiot.

Gatorade, 5 Hour Energy, Red Bull, etc. are NOT defined as Performance Enhancing Drugs. They, despite the billions spent on advertising, are not even performance enhancing substances.

Performance enhancing drugs are, in part, defined by their characteristic to improve PEAK peformance of an individual as opposed to something, say, like cortizone that may allow one to return to the level of performance they were at prior to an injury.

McGwire, according to his own statement and timeline, took steriods when they were illegal substances and lied about it until the statute of limitations ran out and the Cardinals made coming clean a condition of his employment.

He's a douche.
How were they illegal? Baseball made them illegal? Or the law made them illegal? And if steroids are illegal, why do people that have many diseases and conditions take steroids? I guess they are illegal to take there as well? People that have asthma and other muscle conditions can take and do take steroids. But hey, they are illegal right? And since Baseball (unlike Football) had a policy against these drugs, then I would agree that they were illegal to take as a baseball player. But they were not illegal according to the rules so he was doing what others were doing and playing against players that were also using them. No, we should look down on those that took amphetamines in the 50s and 60s because after all those are illegal too right? But that was a common practice to take those substances in those days and those enhance performance and always have. They took them to keep them on the field in a 162 or 154 game season. I think the book "Ball Four" took the cover off of that facade. So if we are going to be high and mighty about one kind of drug, why not another kind of drug that does essentially the same thing. But then again this should not matter because Baseball decided not to address the issue when it was clear there was a problem. But that is why I cannot watch Baseball half the time. Dumb people like Bob Costas (who clearly was not an athlete but only dreamed of being that athletically superior) actually wants us to believe that people that drank beer did not train and eat very unhealthy were better players than people that train 12 months out of the year and make millions based on their performance. OK, whatever you say.