View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
But that is just it - I *did* know that white touched it before it went OOB - just don't know if it was touched *again* - judging from the reactions after I called the ball off white, it was...

I was not guessing, just making a decision based on (probably) incomplete information.

Even in the backcourt?

We tend to want to the lead to help out on this call, but the sidelines in backcourt are the trails. now I shall have to go and check the mechanics manual to see if maybe we are not doing that correctly.

I was a little dissapointed my partner could not help - I try to stress how important it is for the lead to be cognizant of this spot on the floor, but it was looking like a fast break transition, so I cannot really fault him for being focused on getting down to the baseline.
At least around here, yes, even in the backcourt the lead has that line. To make it easier, you have whichever side you are on for the entire length of the court, then the endline is also the lead's. OOB situations are just one of many compromises that you have to make in the 2 man system. Don't beat yourself up about it, you can't see through the players.

Like you said, a fast break often has the lead concentrating on beating the play. In fact, even with a 3 man crew, this type of play still needs the lead's help. If the new trail only sees the backs of the players, it's difficult to rule who caused the ball to go out of bounds. I always try to pre-game this with my partners.