View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Since the OP has been answered, mind if I branch the thread off into a related topic regarding time-outs and subsitutions?

This thread is timely, I was just reading through the section in Rule 10 about substitutes entering without reporting and had a question regarding our duties during a time out.

I don't recall this being mentioned in my training so I'll go ahead and ask a newbie question, should we be taking a note of who the players are during a time-out and that a sub is not sent in without having them report?

If so, is this something you pre-game with your partner(s)?
My opinion; no. Players are supposed to check in before substituting another player. They know that and becomes a force of habit. If a player tries to sneak in without reporting, that's fine with me as long as I don't see it or notice it. Can't call what you don't see, right? If the opposing coach mentions something about a player who wasn't there before the time out, or the table gets my attention about this, then it is a technical foul for entering the game without reporting to the table, as long as I can confirm with the table that he/she wasn't a player prior to the time out, and has not checked in before time out ended.