Thread: 2 questions
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 02:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
I think we missed a point on situation #1. The lead official should never have allowed a teammate of the shooter to take this position in the first place. If he did make that mistake, it should be a violation on him. Good preventative officiating should prevent this from ever happening. I hope that the lead official didn't make this call if no one but he or she noticed the violation. If there is to be another free throw he should calmly and quietly see that another defender take the lane space.
I can't agree that you just simply ignore the double violation.That's not preventive officiating.Sure,you should have caught it,You didn't though.However,two wrongs don't make a right,especially when the 2nd. "wrong" is the only officially recognized "wrong" by rule.What are you going to say to the B coach if he asks you later why the double violation wasn't called.If they happen to lose by a made FT that you shouldn't have allowed,don't you think that you kinda made yourself into the deciding factor in this game?