View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Anyone who refs for a period of time will see this occur off and on.

Here's how I think the NFHS are meant to be enforced:

1) If B1 reaches over the boundry plane, the team gets a warning (official, to coach and in the book). Little verbal "suggestions" by the ref do not count. However, if he touches the BALL, B1 gets a T, no warning. Table and coach will get the official warning after this occurs, if they didn't already have a warning. Also, if there are 5 seconds or less in the game then no warning is required.

2) If anyone from team B later reaches through the boundary plane (after a warning), then a T must be assessed to team B. Without touching the ball, it is a team T. If ball is touched, it is a T on the offending player.

3) If B1 reaches through the plane and FOULS (touches) A1, this is an intentional personal foul. No warning for the delay required. Two shots for A1, throw-in at spot of foul. The only thing I am not clear on is if the severity of the touch matters. I believe just touching A1 is a foul (it doesn't have to be a hit or slap, etc. because B1 is causing a delay).

NOTE: If A1 is holding the ball over the line (in-bounds side), then B1 may touch (grab, slap) the ball without penalty.