Thread: Interference?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
Skahtboi & Steve... how does the situation NOT fall into what you described? Skahtboi says something done by the offense to hinder a play. The R (offense) did something (yelled) to hinder (prevent the throw to 2b) the play.

Steve, the fielder (pitcher) was distracted.

A little story... the first travel game my DD (10) played in... she's nervous enough. We're up against a "dedicated" travel team (we're basically rec all stars). My DD is pitching. R at 3rd base takes a lead off, ball is returned to F1 and R claps AT my DD. Obviously she (R) was trying to get F1s attention. To try to calm down my daughter I simply yell "good for her, she knows how to clap.". DD smiled and went on. After the 1/2 inning, the runner's mother came over to me and criticized me for making fun of her daughter. When I asked her why her daughter clapped... "that's what she was taught to do."

Before it comes up, I don't remember if F1 was back in the circle or not, I wasn't worried about interference or LBR or anything like that. I just felt like telling you the story.

Sam...let me begin by pointing out that there was no play that occurred here. Without some type of play occurring, you can't have interference no matter what happens.

Next, verbal interference must be something that actively hinders the player from making the play, and must deviate from the normal course of the game. The chanting that goes on in the dugouts, coaches giving directives, players communicating with each other or with their coaches, even the little hand clapping thing you mention, and that we all see year after year in the 12U categories do not meet this qualification. Nor does the situation in the post we are discussing. These are normal, routine parts of the game.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.