View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpref View Post
Lazy ref's! I have never had a Varsity game be less than 4.5 miles (for center ref). "high level club soccer games" are at least as much running, but often more than high school varsity! Many of my friends who work college hit a minimum of 6 miles as a center! A tough college game is around 8-9 miles! All of this factored with Garmin GPS units. (yes, we nerd out and compare)

1.5-2 miles for a basketball game seems to be about right.
Bottom line is that basketball officials do not have to run nearly as far as their soccer brethren. 1.7 to 2.0 miles is probably reasonable for a basketball official to run. It also helps to be able to sprint fairly quickly.

In soccer some assignors make assignments based on formulas that INCLUDE a fitness test of some kind -- sprints and distance running. I am not aware of any basketball association/assignor that uses any type of test. I know that they do factor in fitness, but from my perspective it seems that "big fellas" are negatively impacted more than skinny guys that happen to not run well. What do other associations do in the area of fitness when determining game assignments, if anything?