View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Descriptions and exceptions are shown for being on the floor [i.e., rolling, sliding, laying on the back, sitting up], but no exceptions are given for holding the ball.

Holding the ball is holding the ball, whether sitting or standing.
While holding the ball, if [standing or sitting] A slaps away a defender's hand, what, if any, kind of foul would be called on A?
While holding the ball, may [standing or sitting] A shoot, or pass, or start a dribble?

Then why while holding the ball may [standing or sitting] Player A be allowed to touch A's back (or elbow) to the floor, without a specifically noted exception to the rule [as written]?
If A is allowed to lay down, it is quite possible, though obviously not a basketball play, for A to lay down with enough force to locomote to another place on the court by laying back, legally sitting up, and laying back again.

I think the rule is clear.
Mick, I read this rule the was jar does. Yes, the rule is clear, but I've always understood your posted portion to be inapplicable to a player who legally gains control of the ball while otherwise in violation of this rule.

Restrictions on what may be done after gaining control on the floor are different. Otherwise, how do you not call a violation on the player for having his rear end touch the floor while he's holding it.

If you're going to say anything touching when he gained control is excepted, fine. Will you then call a violation on the player who gains control lying on his back and proceeds to touch his elbow to the floor?

If the rules you state apply to a player already on the floor, then my understanding of this rule is completely flawed.

"Coach, you're right, he was on the floor when he got it. But then he touched the floor with his calf when he straighted his legs out."