The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I was using the words that were printed and not the words which were omitted, imagined or possible heard from the *voices*.
Except that in this case, there are implied words. That should be obvious. I don't think any one has ever observed or made a traveling call on a player who is seated or lying on the floor then picks up the ball. If we were to take the rule literally, that would be the necessary result.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 06:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Descriptions and exceptions are shown for being on the floor [i.e., rolling, sliding, laying on the back, sitting up], but no exceptions are given for holding the ball.

Holding the ball is holding the ball, whether sitting or standing.
While holding the ball, if [standing or sitting] A slaps away a defender's hand, what, if any, kind of foul would be called on A?
While holding the ball, may [standing or sitting] A shoot, or pass, or start a dribble?

Then why while holding the ball may [standing or sitting] Player A be allowed to touch A's back (or elbow) to the floor, without a specifically noted exception to the rule [as written]?
If A is allowed to lay down, it is quite possible, though obviously not a basketball play, for A to lay down with enough force to locomote to another place on the court by laying back, legally sitting up, and laying back again.

I think the rule is clear.
Mick, I read this rule the was jar does. Yes, the rule is clear, but I've always understood your posted portion to be inapplicable to a player who legally gains control of the ball while otherwise in violation of this rule.

Restrictions on what may be done after gaining control on the floor are different. Otherwise, how do you not call a violation on the player for having his rear end touch the floor while he's holding it.

If you're going to say anything touching when he gained control is excepted, fine. Will you then call a violation on the player who gains control lying on his back and proceeds to touch his elbow to the floor?

If the rules you state apply to a player already on the floor, then my understanding of this rule is completely flawed.

"Coach, you're right, he was on the floor when he got it. But then he touched the floor with his calf when he straighted his legs out."
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 07:25pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Mick, I read this rule the was jar does. Yes, the rule is clear, but I've always understood your posted portion to be inapplicable to a player who legally gains control of the ball while otherwise in violation of this rule.

Restrictions on what may be done after gaining control on the floor are different. Otherwise, how do you not call a violation on the player for having his rear end touch the floor while he's holding it.

If you're going to say anything touching when he gained control is excepted, fine. Will you then call a violation on the player who gains control lying on his back and proceeds to touch his elbow to the floor?

If the rules you state apply to a player already on the floor, then my understanding of this rule is completely flawed.

"Coach, you're right, he was on the floor when he got it. But then he touched the floor with his calf when he straighted his legs out."
  • The rule is clear but you undertood it to mean *more* based on what?
  • Restrictions are spelled out. The allowance to sit and hold is shown. And as you showed most of the traveling rule is based upon what a player is allowed to do, while most of the other rules show what a player may not do.
  • If the player touches his elbow for any reason other than sitting upright (which is permitted), then yes, I believe a violation has occurred.
  • With no exception written for a player holding while sitting on the floor, I do not think an exception should be contrived.
  • Again, if the player touches his body parts to the floor in an effort to sit up, I have no violation, but no movement by the player in the sitting position is permitted except passing, shooting and starting a dribble to rise. Neither laying down, nor leaning on an elbow is permitted.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 08:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
  • Restrictions are spelled out. The allowance to sit and hold is shown. And as you showed most of the traveling rule is based upon what a player is allowed to do, while most of the other rules show what a player may not do.
  • If the player touches his elbow for any reason other than sitting upright (which is permitted), then yes, I believe a violation has occurred.
  • With no exception written for a player holding while sitting on the floor, I do not think an exception should be contrived.
  • Again, if the player touches his body parts to the floor in an effort to sit up, I have no violation, but no movement by the player in the sitting position is permitted except passing, shooting and starting a dribble to rise. Neither laying down, nor leaning on an elbow is permitted.
I understand your interpretation, thanks Mick. I don't understand the portion highlighted in red, though.
It says a player may sit up, it doesn't specify that he may break other rules to do so.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 08:39pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I understand your interpretation, thanks Mick. I don't understand the portion highlighted in red, though.
It says a player may sit up, it doesn't specify that he may break other rules to do so.
I attempted to show that if an official interprets a movement (and subsequent touching of the floor by various body parts) by the player as simply the [allowed] attempt to sit up, then no violation has occurred.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Snaqs.

Not that anyone cares about my opinion.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I agree with Snaqs.

Not that anyone cares about my opinion.
Agreed
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Shut up.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Shut up.
One more thing before I zip it, I actually agree with your agreement of Snaqs interp!
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

While I agree that the raw text of the rule backs Mick's interpretation, I am with JAR and others on this. I believe the implied context of the rule limits its application to a player who gains possession of the ball while he/she is standing. We get into some pretty weird territory by attempting to apply it to a player who legally gains possession of the ball while seated/laying/sliding on the floor.

Just my $0.02