View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 03, 2010, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Had several situations happen tonight where the visiting coaches were questioning the table crew.

Majority of the complaints was due to the shot clock.

For example: Girls' Varsity, Home shoots the ball with 1 sec. left on shot clock, air ball, visiting team had the rebound yet shot clock violation was going to be called if this was going to be a CE, however officials called it as a NCE due to play continuing. In this case, the visiting coach was trying to say a shot clock violation due to the air ball, however her team had the ball when the buzzer sounded before the reset happened. as her team had control off the rebound.

Can coaches question the officials concerning the shot clock, if the shot clock operator was unable to reset the shot clock due to interference from the coach yelling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Yelling right in their ear as the play is happening, by standing right next to the table, instead of being within the coaches box.

Also throughout the game, the coach was trying to tell the shot clock operator how to do things.

As I mentioned in the earlier post, the coach was yelling at the officials that the violation happened, even though it was her team who had the rebound off the air ball (Team control had switched) as the shot clock horn was sounding. The Shot Clock Operator was in the process of resetting the shot clock when this happened, in turn not allowing the shot clock operator to complete their duties.
chseagle,
While many coaches yell during games, there need to be limits to this yelling. They can yell at their players all they want. They can yell about a call every now and then -- as long as they let it go and move on to coaching, again. If the shot clock operator has made a few mistakes, coaches may react to that as well.

However, I do NOT want them yelling at the table personnel on an ongoing basis -- especially if they are out of their box. This can be particularly problematic when doing youth/MS games where the scorers and timers may be inexperienced, but I don't want it happening at HS games, either.

I will try to give you some examples of situations that would meet Nevadaref's suggestions in scorekeeper's terms. If you believe that a coach is being unreasonable, I would suggest sounding the horn IMMEDIATELY after a violation has stopped the clock OR when an official comes over to report a foul OR when the official comes over to report a time out OR between quarters OR any other time that an official's whistle will require a restart in which one of the officials puts the ball back into play (net gets hung up after a basket, etc.). You will not being stopping the flow of play during these intervals. At the same time, you will be able to get your point across.