View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
"I'll show these coaches who's boss!"

In my past life as a basketball coach, I overheard an official tell the table this just prior to the game. And he did - I was given my first ever technical foul, standing outside the coaching box talking to one of my players.

This official was down court (lead), so I asked the nearby official what the technical was for (I thought it was on one of my players). The nearby official shrugged and said that he didn't know. When I asked the calling official what the "T" was for (still a little confused), he walked toward me threatening another "T". Wow.

By the way, in 8 years of coaching that was my only "T".

Being an ex-coach sometimes give you some perspective on what you like and don't like when working with officials.

I liked officials who were professional and approachable.
Still another case of the COACHES VS. OFFICIALS scenario. Many referees, I mean officials (sorry, learned this in another thread ) have this adversarial relationship with coaches -- ESPECIALLY based on the pre-game discussion with the table in this case.

An official is not required to explain ANY call, much less a technical foul, BUT, the top officials do. They don't need to get into a discussion with a coach, just a short description will suffice. "Coach, you were four feet out of your box after we had warned you about your location, earlier." Then move on. No need for a discussion or debate.

While neither a wave nor a warning is REQUIRED before giving a coach a technical foul for being out of the box, the crews that I work on prefer this approach. One coach blatantly coaching (much less yelling at an official) outside the coaching box can provide a coaching advantage. In some cases, it is done with intent. In most cases, it is done accidentally as the coaches get into the game. A simple wave usually does the trick -- if your objective is to prevent issues BEFORE you have to stop play. If the problem continues, it needs to be addressed, but these cases will be very rare.