Thread: Pecking order
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
I have worked in several states...IN, KY, CT, IL, MO, KS

For the biggest share of us, this is an avocation. We are not in it for the money and certainly put a great deal of time into being better.

You will find that if you seek to improve there will be someone to help you. You will get some good advice and some bad.
You will get some advice that you can adapt and apply quickly and some that is hard to do.

Listen with two ears and speak softly. Let your reputation be earned by what is done and court and how you handle yourself off the court.

I found the suburban Chicago area to be a difficult area. Many, many, many assignors to work with. Too many crews that work together every night. Cliques that thought they were better, so much so that they wore a different color jacket from everyone else to show themselves off.

Find people that you like to be with and try to be a great mentor for those that seek your help.

Peace.
Chicago area is extremely competitive for officials. The state has over 6,000 officials with over 4,000 being in a 40 mile radius of Chicago as the rumor goes. I think the whole state of Nevada as posted here has just over 300 officials(about the size of one of our suburban associations)

It is a political animal and you'd better learn to play the game if you want to advance.

Regarding assignors, I'd rather have 7-8, which I do, and get a small schedule from each. That way I don't feel as dependent on any of them.

I also enjoy working different conferences. makes it more interesting. I had the same Varsity team 5 times last year and it seemed like I had a cot in the Ad's office.