View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Some thoughts from other frequent posters here as written on the NFHS forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cranky Old Dinosaur
Common sense tells me that "on the floor" has NO relevance at all when it comes to having to decide whether a player was in the act of shooting or not. A player can be "on the floor" and still be awarded 2 or 3 FT's for being fouled in the act of shooting. Common sense also tells me that you don't seem to understand the relevant rule very well.

It's got nothing at all to do with arrogance. It's got everything to do with knowing and understanding the rules so that the play can be called correctly. It's also got everything to do with educating other officials so that they can also call the play correctly.

"On the floor" does NOT equate to being fouled BEFORE starting the act of shooting. Never has. Never will. It is simply not true in ALL cases and that's why that phrase shouldn't ever be used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac's twin brother
What part of this photo did you not understand? If this cute little kid gets fouled in this position, I'm giving him two shots, even though he's "on the floor".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am going to have to back Woody and others on this one. Saying "On the floor" is not only confusing, but incorrect. And the point has been made here or many other places as incorrect. You do not have to have a bad holiday to point this out or to say this is incorrect. It is incorrect because the act of shooting starts with the habitual motion to the basket, which often starts without a player leaving the floor. Sorry, but that language is wrong. Do not take it personally.