View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

What do you think?

I'm in lead. The ball goes up, comes down on the other side of the basket. Two players go for it. Blue player, behind, white player in front. at blue's basket. Left arm of blue has such violent action on white player that headband goes flying. I blow whistle on foul as blue attempts a shot. (This all takes during the first half. So blue coach does not, cannot see foul.) I point to where the ball comes in, say white takes ball in.

I report the foul on the blue player. Blue coach is understandably upset as he could not have seen the foul. I turn to him and tell him, "Coach, foul was on the rebound, your player fouled the white player....."

Suddenly one of my partners is blowing his whistle, says, "Ball is on the ground, lets go!"

During halftime, he tells me that is all I should have said to the coach. He said that we shouldn't be saying too much to the coach, just tell him the ball is on the ground and go. He said the other coach was getting pissed off.

I agree that we shouldn't be saying too much to the coach. And maybe I what I said was too much. But I do think that just as we have to live and die with our own calls, I should not have been interrupted like that. I really feel he was out of line and undermined my authority.

I'm interested in your opinions.

Rita