Thread: for Derock
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

HSWH....

It's not so much what you said, it was the way you said it. The attitude you have expressed here is that you're better than some, and you want to make sure they know it....

I've seen many officials with that kind of attitude on the field. They're in charge, and they'll continue to throw flags on fouls that have no bearing on the play, but they'll throw them anyway, "Because it's in the rulebook". I don't like to officiate that way.

I saw a great example of restraint several years ago.... I was watching an Arena Football game on TNN. There was a flag thrown for holding by the offense. When they showed the replay, the OLman obviously had the defender by the shirt, but the WhiteHat didn't throw his flag, until the OLman actually pulled the defender down, taking him out of the play. By rule, the flag could have been thrown as soon as the WH saw the hold, but because it had not yet influenced the play, he restrained until it did. That's the kind of officiating that is reasonable, because I think, even HSWH will admit, he could throw a flag on every play.