View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJW View Post
thus have become an expert on the 20-second replacement period and using it like a miniature timeout (which I know the rules are trying to discourage).
Very true. Actually was an NFHS POE a couple of seasons ago, and various states have experimented with different ideas to speed up this process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJW View Post
Last week I had an official breathing down my neck 3 feet away as I was huddling my kids for, at most, 10 seconds. He was interrupting me and saying, "Coach, I don't want to T you up, get your sub in! Get your sub in! You only have 10 seconds coach, let's go, let's go!" He wasn't very professional to say the least, and I know for sure that if my DQ'ed player had stayed on the floor after my huddle, he would have T'ed me up.
You may wish to look at this from the official's point of view. He is doing what he is supposed to by encouraging you to make sure that your sub is there in time. Would you rather that he not a say a single word to you, and then issue a T as soon as that horn sounds, while your sub is on the way to the table to report? Coaches cannot ever be pleased by the officials, and this is a d@mned if you do, d@mned if you don't situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
(sounds like you may have had Nevadaref's brother in at least one of your prior games)
How do you know it wasn't actually me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
REMEMBER: YOU, as the coach of the opposing team, are also allowed to use this 20 second period as a "mini timeout" AND YOU don't have to worry about getting a sub to the table in the allotted 20 seconds.
This is exactly what the NFHS is striving to prevent. You are part of the problem if you are failing to administer the game properly as an official. The coach should have to worry about getting a sub to the table in the allotted 20 seconds each and every time.