View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 10:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Didn't want to hijack Welpe's thread so I wanted to start a new one regarding something similar.

Boy's JV match last year. I don't remember all the details, but this is what I remember.

I called a foul on a player, I don't remember against who or for what. as I'm walking to the table, he comes up to my side and bumps me with his chest. Now, I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but I think he said something like "c'mon, he was pushing me" and might have been just demonstrating how he was being pushed or something. That took me by surprise, and the statement that Welpe had said, "surprise is an umpire's worst enemy comes to mind" definitely came to play here (which is what triggered me to make this post). I did keep my composure and continued as if nothing happened, mainly because at the time I wasn't really registering that little chest bump.

Got to the table, and finds out it was his 5th. At that time I started to register that he had just chest bumped me about 10 seconds earlier. I debated about giving him a T or flagrant, but didn't know how to complete it because it was his 5th foul prior to this incident. I forgot at what point a player becomes benched when it is his 5th foul, and didn't want to wrongfully give the coach an indirect. Read later that a fouled-out player doesn't become bench until you notify the coach and player that it is the 5th foul and then start the 20 seconds count.

Thoughts?
No, he becomes bench personnel after you notify the coach. That's why the order is coach, clock, player. 4-14-2 if you care.