View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Why does everyone seem to want "everyone to see" the warning? I don't understand this logic. If you think the stop sign helps to difuse, fine (I'm channeling my inner tomegun here), we can disagree on that. I just don't get this whole "everyone saw the warning so now I can ring him up" thought process.

We aren't required, or even asked, to warn a coach before issuing a T for unsporting behavior. Personally, I would much rather have a quiet word with the coach rather than escalate to a public admonishment.

I just don't get it.
I have this same question often. Those who have recommended it to me in the past (in clinics/camps/pregames/over beers) believe it is important to get it on film as much as anything. That way if/when a coach complains to the AD who calls the assignor who calls you, you can prove that you provided a warning.

If you work in an area where coaches/ADs have big influence and you need to be able to "prove" to your assignor that a T was warranted, I get it. But if your assignor backs you up on your word, then all the public "stop" sign does is show up the coach and have as much potential to create a more adversarial situation as a better situation, IMO.

Write me down for preferring the quiet word.