View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski View Post
What do you all think are the consequences for NOT giving a T when a coach crosses the line? I coached for a number of years before reffing (this is my 3rd year doing varsity, 5th overall). I have been slow to give Ts, giving the coaches much rope. Do you feel the coaches lose respect for refs that don't whack them when appropriate? Or, do they appreciate a ref that is willing to listen and be patient with them when they blow a gasket? I used to think it was the latter, now I am beginning to question that.
If you think a coach crossed the line, you have to take care of business. You have to ask yourself, which one is going to make the game a better game, "Give a little rope or Whack'em"?

More times than not, talking to the coach or allowing him to say what's on his mind (within reason) will take care of it. You may have to admit you missed it or didn't see it the way he did. "Coach, I hear you... I didn't see it that way or I may even have missed it, but we're going to move on." This is only if you're talking with a level headed coach. Now, if he's a hot head from the door, you may not want to give him the pleasure of speaking with him. "Coach, I've heard enough (with the stop sign so everyone can see). If he continues, Whak'em!

Good Luck!