View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Thanks eg & Ref_in_A. I know the answer and I know how to enforce it just trying to wrap my head around teh why's of it all. Like you say sometimes questioning the reasoning is the wrong way to go. I was hung up on the fact the penalty for the dq foul carried the possesion as well. The way the question was worded was bad in mine and plenty of others opinon. Along with quite a few other questions that tested our ability to read rather than our knowledge of the rules.
In FIBA there's no concept of "multiple foul", "false double foul" or "false multiple foul". There used to be "multiple fouls", but they were deleted several years ago. Another fundamental difference with NFHS is that a personal foul can be committed when the ball is dead.

Fouls (personal or technical) are penalized in order of occurrence, after cancelling equal penalties against both teams. The only situation where this is impossible is the double foul, when the illegal contact is committed by two opponents at the same time against each other.

After a double foul (with no other foul during the same dead ball period) the play is resumed just like in NFHS; there's no definition of POI, in FIBA, but the concept is the same (article 42.2.7).

A possible source for confusion is the fact that when all penalties cancel, play is resumed like after a double foul. However this should not guide our understanding of the rules: a double foul is a specific situation covered by the rules which should not be confused with "special situations" (article 42, as Nick pointed out).

Ciao