View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgrund View Post
I figured the call should not have been made for the following reasons:

1) The ref under the net should never be making this call. Doesn't the other ref have a better view of the play?

2) When the score if 57-57 with under 20 seconds to go, unless there's blood or an egregious foul, I'd never blow my whistle!

If anything, in a case like this, if I were the other ref, I would have overruled the ref under the net and either called 'jump ball' (as the ball was pinned) or 'inadvertent whistle'.
I'm going to assume you are not an official, since you're clueless with regard to everything you wrote.

1) Officials have primary areas of coverage. The foul occurred in the Lead official's primary. The Lead is the official on the end line. It was his call.

2) This is a foul. To allow the defender to rake both arms of the shooter and not call the foul is an injustice to the shooter. The defender made a bad play. Neither the shooter nor his team should not be penalized for it, especially when the defender is beaten and #55 clearly has an advantageous position.

Further:

One official CANNOT overrule another.

This isn't a "jump" ball. A jump ball occurs when the referee tosses the ball between to opponents to start the game or overtime.

This is also not a held ball. The contact is on the shooter's arms. It is not on the ball, nor is the ball ever pinned anywhere.

There is no inadvertent whistle in basketball. That's a football term. There is no accidental whistle here. A foul was called, and called correctly I might add.

Here endeth the lesson.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith