View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
I am trying to wrap my head around a question in the FIBA rules exam presented by CABO this year. I thought I would post it here and allow for some discussion. You don't have to agree or disagree with the answer jsut looking to discuss.

Q: A1 and B1 commit a double foul. B1's foul is judged as disqualifying. Shall free throws be awarded to A1? Y or N (Answer is N)

From the exam administrator I received the following regarding the logic.
In FIBA rules all DOuble fouls cancel and no free throws shall be awarded. Art 35.2

This is how I will administer should the situation ever come up by the way.

Now here is my problem in the learning process. The question (stupid if you ask me) does not say both fouls are equal and in FIBA a disqualifying foul Art 37 (flagrantly unsproting action) has a different penalty than a personal foul. So, I can understand cancelling equal penalties but this was not the case as I understand the question. Also Art 42.2.2 supports the cancelling of equal penalties and then administering what is left over.

Dang what am I missing in this.
Smoke,

The answer is in your post. "In FIBA rules all Double fouls cancel and no free throws shall be awarded. Art 35.2"

Sometimes it is not for us to question the logic behind a rule but just know what it is and enforce it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
this is a good question and does happen. In Fiba equal gravity fouls cancel. Double fouls go back to the team in control as in the case of most double fouls. However, in this case one foul is disqualifying so the other team shall have the ball at center for a throw in and can use both courts to inbound the ball. Questions may seem stupid until the time they happen and then what?
last night we called an unsportsman foul on team A followed by two Techs on Team B. what cancels here?
That's an easy one...
Team A Unsportmanlike & 1st Team B Technical cancel.

Any Team A player shoots 2 FTs for the 2nd Team B Technical and Team A gets the ball at the division line for the throw-in.