View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
I am trying to wrap my head around a question in the FIBA rules exam presented by CABO this year. I thought I would post it here and allow for some discussion. You don't have to agree or disagree with the answer jsut looking to discuss.

Q: A1 and B1 commit a double foul. B1's foul is judged as disqualifying. Shall free throws be awarded to A1? Y or N (Answer is N)

From the exam administrator I received the following regarding the logic.
In FIBA rules all DOuble fouls cancel and no free throws shall be awarded. Art 35.2

This is how I will administer should the situation ever come up by the way.

Now here is my problem in the learning process. The question (stupid if you ask me) does not say both fouls are equal and in FIBA a disqualifying foul Art 37 (flagrantly unsproting action) has a different penalty than a personal foul. So, I can understand cancelling equal penalties but this was not the case as I understand the question. Also Art 42.2.2 supports the cancelling of equal penalties and then administering what is left over.

Dang what am I missing in this.
It's the same in FED and NCAA -- if one foul of a double foul is flagrant, or intentional, the fouls still offset.

And, I assume it's the same as a double foul when one team is in the bonus (in FIBA) -- that team doesn't get to shoot FTs, play is just resumed (at POI in FED and NCAA).