Thread: Sick head coach
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

This is a bit of a long story but is Germaine to this discussion. My daughter plays varsity basketball. I tend to do mostly JV games so I can hustle over to watch her games when I'm done. Last year I walked into the gym during a time out. The administering official is someone I've worked with quite a few times. He calls me over to ask my opinion. The Hc for the other team is pregnant and not feeling well, so she asked if her AC could be the HC instead. He told her sure as long as he didn't hear from her all night. apparently my daughter's HC is upset. Apparently during the state tourney last year she asked for the same courtesy and the R told her no.

As soon as the game was over, both the AC and HC made a beeline for me to see what I thought. I agreed with how my buddy handled it but told them I would check with authorities. I spoke to 3 different assignors and 1 state rules interpretor and got 2 different answers.
One said there should be no courtesy, and all the others agreed with my buddy.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me