View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 03:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Take a look a the realtime part of the video (before replay is shown). You can see, if you look quick enough, that right after giving the T with both hands, the referee looks and sees an intentional or flagrant foul and goes to give the signal for intentional/flagrant foul just before it cuts to the replay. I definitely going with at least an intentional whether it was the offensive or defensive coach. No reason for that kind of force that defensive player had on the shooter.

Other than that, I do agree with you on the rest. Thanks for your insights Snaqwells!
First of all, that is not the signal for a flagrant foul, it's the signal for an intentional foul which would work regardless. Secondly, this is such an uncommon situation that I wouldn't take the official's preliminary signals as any indicator either what was actually ruled or what should have been ruled. This scenario is bound to momentarily screw up anyone's mechanics.

Yes, taking away the coach T, this foul is an easy intentional (due to excessive contact), which is why I said it should be ruled as such even if the coach is the coach of team B (the defender). If he's Coach B, the ball is live until the shot goes in or misses; that's why the foul is personal rather than technical. If he's Coach A (offense), the ball is dead immediately, making the player foul a technical.