View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Case Book bailed you out

As an aside on a different thread, the matter of the case book was brought up, particularly that the situations in there seem to rarely happen.

It might be good for all of us, just as a reminder to keep studying, to relate some instances where knowledge of the rules and case book has absolutely saved your butt in various situations.

One that comes to my mind was in a quarter-final of a rather prestigious varsity boys tournament several years ago. The game was close throughout with team B making an 8 or so point run at the very end to tie and send to overtime. I was the R, and had verified the score, fouls, etc., at the end of each quarter, half, and during the late time-outs of the 4th quarter. However, the team B scorer was (evidently) not their regular one and lacked confidence, as compared to the relatively "bossy" A scorer. At the end of intermission before the extra period (we were already in place for the jump) I heard some excited banter from the team A scorer to the coach, gathering that there was some sort of bookkeeping error.

Before they could get my attention I tossed the ball for the jump, then blew it dead before it was tapped.

To this day I don't know if there was actually a mistake or that the team A scorer harangued the B scorer into agreeing to a point that had not been credited from the first half, but it was there on paper and had to be counted (bookkeeping mistakes may be corrected at any time). Of course team A was sure of the win, but because the ball had become live for the extra period "it will be played even though a correction in the fourth quarter score is made (5-7-4)" which, in my judgment, was the only way to properly conclude this match.