View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Set the stage: 7th grade Jr High Boys Tournament, Indiana team playing an Illinois team

<Start Lesson>

I learned two new things today.

1) When a thrower has the ball at their disposal and they jump in the air and land still out of bounds (without violating 3 feet or stepping inbounds) that this player has committed a traveling violation. In addition, since I didn't call it, it was "understood" that it must be a difference in rules from Indiana to Illinois.

Coach: "It must be an Illinois' thing."

TJ: "No, coach...it's a Fed thing."

2) When a dribbler jump stops (i.e. jumps off one foot and lands simultaneously on both) that the player may now choose any foot to be their pivot.

Soooo, when his player did this and I called a travel he proceeded to tell me that he had been coaching for 32 years, has 322 varsity wins, officiated for 22, and has taught his kids this and won a state championship doing this -- great, whatever.

While I admit I somewhat allowed him to crap on my floor while he took a 30-second time-out to tell me all this... I didn't whack him as I thought he had already embarrassed himself enough.

Sadly, a comment from a bleacher jockey said this: "Hey Ref, the coach is right... there's a referee sitting right by me and he says the coach is right." Eh, boy.

<End of Lesson>

It was an interesting morning to say the least.

I think JR said it best: Silly monkeys!

Here in Hawaii we use National Federation of State High School Association Rules, and

Rule 4 SECTION 42 THROW-IN, THROWER, DESIGNATED SPOT (NOTE) states
The thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released. Pivot-foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in.

Rule 4 SECTION 44 ART.2, a3 A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:

On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

Aloha!

Jose'

Last edited by NoFear; Sat Dec 12, 2009 at 06:08pm.