Thread: 4 players
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Lotto

I seem to fail to understand your references:

1) NCAA 10.3 Art 17 -- the example was not intentional nor did it delay the game. In our evaluator's camp this has always been consider a call that would be made if there was a nerferious reason not simply someone failing to understand that they are in or out of the game.

2) NCAA 10.3 Art 1 -- This is not delaying the game. The offical seems to have put the ball " in play" (right or wrong on the mechanics side).

3) Section 3 -- Elastic Powers. Again, in the evaluation clinics we are taught to review this issue as Baseball Umpires use 9.01 (c) in OBR. It is used with a great amount of care and consideration. While I do agree that an NCAA official can use this with fore thought I doubt if playing with four players "really" is what this section was intended to cover.

4) Rule 3 -- The spirit and intent of this rule is obviously to cover six (or more) players on the court OR a time in the game where a coach could try to gain an advantage by not allowing a player onto the court when he has an eligible player (i.e. a bad free throw shooter in crunch time).

What I would state, with about as strong a voice as possible, is that the OFFICIALS have the responsibility to only begin play when both teams have the correct number of eligible players on the court.

Far before a Technical Foul call I would expect, as a "long time" (that means old) college official and relatively new college evaluator that the whole issue is based aroound poor mechanics rather than a coaching sin.

I would certainly hope that EVEN IF an official put a ball into play with TOO FEW players on the court (too many may be considered differently) that the official would be smart enough and intuitive enough to stop play and correct the oversite. While not a correctable error in the interest of equal play the correction would be made.

Thanks for the situations and your view of the issue. It helped me a lot.