View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao View Post
I do have a general question about concussions, though. I don't have my rule book, so I am not sure of the exact wording, but doesn't it say that a player with a concussion may not return without a doctor's permission. Does this mean for that particular game or for any further games? If it is for future games, how do you know? Do any states require the officials to file a report with their assignor when it appears a player received a concussion so that the crew doing the next game is aware? Or is that something that becomes a game management issue that we don't want to deal with. Seems to me it would be very hard for us to enforce and it's something I never had a crew talk about in a pre-game.
Here in Washington State, we have a new law that just got passed this past summer. The Zackery Lystedt Law is named after a young man who went back into competition after suffering a concussion & now is in a wheelchair.

More information about this can be found at: WIAA | Washington Interscholastic Activities Association

How it is written, if a student-athlete suffers a concussion, they are not allowed to practice or compete until they are clearing by a medical professional trained in treating concussions.

On the website listed above, I am not seeing anything concerning official resources, it wouldn't surprise me however if the WOA does have something.

The CDC resource sheets also state that the student-athlete needs get approval from a medical professional to return to competition/practice after suffering a concussion.