View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
AllPurposeGamer,

Here in Washington State, there's a brand new law on the books called the Zackery Lystedt Law that has to deal with concussions in Interscholastic Athletics. Part of the law is that, if a concussion happens (losing consciousness or not), the student-athlete cannot practice nor participate in games until cleared by a medical professional that has the training to diagnosis & deal with concussions. The law was signed into effect by Gov. Gregoire this past summer.

How I saw the play occur, the home player was in the air going for the rebound, when the visiting player made physical contact by pushing/shoving the home player OOB & into a padded wall. When the home player hit the padded wall, a loud thud was heard throughout the gym.

I'm questioning whether they should of moved the player, & not just called EMS to get her examined. It was the HC at her side as soon as the officials whistled for stoppage of play, who decided to get her up on her feet & assist her over to the bench.

When the home player was finally mobile, & assisted to the bench by the HC, play continued on as normal from the POI, no fouls were assessed for the contact/pushing/shoving.
I understand that, but we as officials do not deal with injuries besides what we must by rule per NFHS. That means we'll stop play when appropriate (in this case, play would be stopped immediately). What happens after that is up to coach/trained personnel. The only decision as an official that has to be made is whether consciousness was lost or appeared to be lost. In that case, we aren't allowing the player back without a signed note from an M.D. You're asking the wrong people whether or not the correct procedures were followed.

Last edited by APG; Fri Dec 11, 2009 at 09:51am.