Thread: 4 players
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Had the exact thing happen last night in a Varsity Girls game. Only had 4 return about 15 seconds after the 2nd horn. My partner wouldn't put the ball in play. When I saw only 4, I held my partner up for another 5 seconds and said we needed another player.

About two weeks ago the coach (41 years old, relatively thin and fit) had a heart attack and then triple bypass surgery. A previous coach, (and now Vice Principal, and also our district representative on the State Athletic Board,) has stepped in to help. I'm sure he is frustrated coaching a team that he didn't pick or train.

The team is pitiful - can't pass, can't catch, can't dribble, can't shoot; there are probably some other missing skills too. Their record is 0 and 10 or something close to that. The score at the end of the first quarter was 2-18. The 2 were from free throws - no field goals. They were late from every time out. Were not even on the court when the horn sounded to end half time. 5 seconds later they entered to begin the second half.

Toward the end of the game they (Home) became frustrated and began doing stupid things like slamming the ball, kicking at the other team, coach yelling at the refs. The one technical foul that we did administer was in the 2nd quarter to the Visiting team - one of their players was not in the book. In the second half the Home team seemed to wake up slightly and scored some field goals. They even made it into the 20's but lost by about 30 to a very gracious visiting team that relaxed and took it easy, rather than playing to their potential.

In summary we passed on several T's and it sounds like one should have been assessed for not enough players returning after a timeout? Per NFHS 10-1-9